Thursday, February 18, 2010

Addicted to Jim Rome

Each day, I truly look forward to the hours between 12 and 3 as this is the time when the Jim Rome show airs on the radio. Though talk radio seems to be a thing of the past/ a thing that never was for many people my age, I couldn't enjoy it more. Many people who know me know that I am a huge fan of Jim Rome. To many, this is a highly controversial admission. At least 90% of the people who I've said this to have responded by telling me how much they hate him. This is fine, I will still continue to enjoy him and even pay $7 a month to hear the podcast of his show every day, commercial free. However, in the past I have converted a fair number of people from downright hating to tolerably listening to straight up laughing out loud aside me. For this reason, I encourage everyone to at least try his radio show and then be the judge rather than judging him purely for his TV show which is structured completely different and is admittedly more annoying.

The best part of the show is not Rome himself, but his loyal league of followers, known as Clones, who provide humorous takes (calls, texts, etc.) every day. These takes are littered with pop culture and sports culture references, making the show both an entertaining and enlightening experience. For example, if it weren't for Rome, how would I have know about this gem? (Note: I heard this on his radio show then looked it up to re-listen and found this clip from his TV show. Cut to :38 seconds in.)




The biggest knock on Rome is that he is arrogant and obnoxious. This can probably be said about any media personality, but Rome probably gets this because when seen on TV, the guy does come across as smug, with his goatee and sarcastic takes on issues. Still, he conveys his message by taking a stance and supporting it with humor, allowing the Clones to also voice an opinion and never dominating one side over another.

To those haters, that's fine... talk personalities are an extremely divisive topic and I don't think I can change that. That being said, try listening sometime and you may find it's quite enjoyable.

Here are two takes from the show:




No comments:

Post a Comment